Aviation Medical Examination

Standard ophthalmic exam

Standard ophthalmic exam

To train as a pilot you must undergo an Aviation Medical examination. These are “general” medicals and anyone with good general health should have no trouble passing.

The tests include an ECG (for the heart), an audio test and an eye test (note: wearing glasses/contact lenses does NOT prevent you from passing this medical. Your eyesight would need to be very poor before it becomes a problem).

For basic questions you can contact us (we are not aviation medical experts) or if your question is of a more complex nature contact your nearest aviation medical examiner.

If you are studying for the Commercial Pilot Licence you will need a Class 1 Aviation Medical. If you are ONLY studying for the Private Pilot Licence then a Class 2 aviation medical is all you need.

Whilst the aviation medical can be done after arrival in Australia, it is always advisable to do it before you depart if there is an approved examiner not too far away from you. There are a number of doctors overseas who are approved by the Australian CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) to conduct these examinations. Click Here to view CASA’s list of approved overseas doctors (Click on 1. DAME’s and 2. “Overseas”)

Please note:

Before you undertake your aviation medical you must apply to CASA for an ARN (Aviation Reference Number). Once you have your ARN you can then book your aviation medical – don’t forget to take your ARN with you. You will need complete an application form (Form 1162) – Download Here You should forward the form, together with a clear and legible copy of one piece of identification to CLARC. You can forward these papers by:

Scan and email as a jpeg file to clarc@casa.gov.au (best and quickest option) /

Mail to: CLARC, CASA, GPO Box 2005, Canberra ACT 2601 Australia /

Fax to +61 2 6217 1899O

When you return home to convert your licence you will need to pass a local aviation medical. You can contact your local Civil Aviation Authority (or equivalent) to find out more